Proper Homecare Following Periodontal Therapy
• Tenderness is normal. To reduce tenderness and promote healing, rinse with warm salt water ( ½ teaspoon salt to a 4 ounce glass of warm water) 3-4 times per day for three days.
• Ibuprofen (Advil or Nuprin) or Tylenol may be used as directed on the bottle for discomfort.
• Tooth sensitivity is normal and temporary. You may use a desensitizing toothpaste, such as Sensodyne, for sensitivity relief.
• You may also gently massage your gums. This will increase circulation and promote healing.
• Brush the gum line gently, as you’ve been shown, with a soft toothbrush at least two times daily. You may notice bleeding of the gums as you brush and floss. This symptom should gradually diminish in about a week.
• Floss, as you’ve been shown, at least once daily.
• Regular periodontal maintenance (cleaning) and examination appointments are critical to improving your oral health.
The more time you spend on the care of your teeth and gums, the faster you’ll improve your periodontal health. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call our office.
Click here to download form.